Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sell Snacks on Campus



Ok, so today is the first day I'm selling snacks on campus.  I have a cute brown picnic basket filled with a bunch of goodies.  My initial feeling that, this could be a good way of making extra money, but I've been at school for almost an hour and a half with no luck. 



Here are the contents of my goodies basket:
  1. Raisins
  2. Slim Jim Jerky
  3. Peanut Butter Crackers
  4. Honey Granola Bars
  5. Organic Fruit and Nut Granola Bars
I only bought the slim jims, but everything else I already had at the house.  I'm parked in the computer lab in the business school with my goodies basket wide open and a sign that says...


HUNGRY?  YUMMY SNACKS FOR SALE!


Not the most original advertising, but its to the point.  I'm a to the point sort of a gal.  I have one class at 9:25, then after that, I'm going to set up shop (so to say) in the study lounge. 


I'm actually kind of excite about this experiment because it gives me the opportunity to test all sorts of things. 
  • Which snacks sell the best
  • Which snacks don't
  • Should I use more color on my sign
  • Are students more interested in healthy snacks, or junk ones
  • Does my personal appearance affect whether students buy or not
  • Location Location Location
  • Temperature outside
I'm going to test this experiment for 2 weeks.  If I don't make any money, then I'm going to move on to something else.  If it does generate extra income, I'll continue the experiment further to discover what elements work best and which ones were a dud. 


Wish me luck


Emily


(UPDATE 10/22/10)


Ok so this experiment was a complete failure.  I didn't sell a single snack.  My daughter and I ended up slowely eating up everything because they wern't selling.  Though I didn't really try to interact with people and push product. 


I'm sure it would have worked out if I would have put a bit more effort into it, but I'm not really social at school.  I'm focused on studying. 


I also didn't really like lugging around food all day, and people looked at me like I was a wierdo. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...